Steam Content File is Locked: This implies that Steam can’t write replace recordsdata to the onerous disk. There could also be many options for this error. The only one is to uninstall Steam and all of the native recreation content material and reinstall it from scratch. Although this labored for a lot of customers, it’s a fairly time-consuming job and it additionally consumes a considerable amount of knowledge. Before resorting to onerous measures as talked about above, we are going to attempt troubleshooting for small issues that may be concerned.
Recommended: For More Articles
- 1 Repair Corrupt System Files
- 2 Solution 1: Check Antivirus
- 3 McAfee Antivirus
- 4 ESET NOD32
- 5 Kaspersky AV
- 6 Solution 2: Reset Winsock
- 7 Solution 3: Repair Corrupt Files
- 8 Solution 4: Relocate Steam Installation and Game Files
- 9 Solution 5: Check Disk Scan
- 10 Solution 6: Run as Administrator
- 11 Share this:
- 12 Like this:
Repair Corrupt System Files
Download and run Reimage Plus to scan for corrupt recordsdata from here, if recordsdata are discovered to be corrupt and lacking restore them after which test if it fixes the problem, if not then proceed with Solutions listed under
Solution 1: Check Antivirus
In many conditions, your antivirus could also be inflicting the issue. It shouldn’t be uncommon for it to mark Steam recordsdata as potential viruses and quarantine them. Below are listed alternative ways to disable the antivirus till you may replace your recreation.
McAfee has no method to exclude sure recordsdata from its real-time scanning. The sole means is to disable the antivirus fully until the sport is up to date. To do that, open McAfee and choose “Virus and Spyware Protection”. Here you discover the choice of “Real-Time Scanning”. Click that possibility and switch it off.
Then observe the next instruction to confirm the integrity of recreation recordsdata.
- Restart your computer and relaunch Steam.
- Head over to the library part and right-click on the sport which is providing you with issues.
- Click on its properties and choose the native recordsdata tab.
- Click the confirm integrity of the sport recordsdata button and Steam will confirm that recreation in a couple of minutes.
Hopefully, after performing the above steps, your Steam gained’t give any problem.
NOD32 has the tendency to mark some utility recordsdata as malicious and can most likely quarantine it. This usually ends in the error whereas updating a recreation. Browse to your present Steam listing and replica the deal with. The default location for the Steam listing is
After copying the deal with open ESET NOD32 and paste the placement in excluding from real-time scanning.
Follow the ‘confirm the integrity of recreation recordsdata’ methodology listed above and you can be all good.
Kaspersky could generally flag Steam as an intruder and disable it from making any adjustments to the onerous drive. To repair this, head over to ‘threads and exclusions’. Navigate to ‘trusted zone’ and add Steam.exe as a trusted utility. Remember to change the settings to Do not limit utility exercise in addition to Do not scan opened recordsdata.
Follow the ‘confirm integrity of recreation recordsdata’ methodology listed above and restart your computer.
Solution 2: Reset Winsock
Another problem that will trigger the failure to replace is the Winsock catalog. We can execute the command to reset it and in flip, it can roll again to the default settings.
- Press the ⊞ Win (home windows) + R key to carry up the Run window (be certain that to run it as administrator).
- In the dialogue bar kind ‘netsh winsock reset’ (excluding the quotes).
- Execute the command and restart your computer.
Solution 3: Repair Corrupt Files
If these two strategies don’t give you the results you want, we will troubleshoot which file went corrupt/lacking and check out re-download the complete file once more.
- Exit steam and navigate to your Steam listing (C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam). If you might have chosen a customized location for the setup, navigate there.
- Move to the folder ‘logs’ and open ‘txt’.
- Move to the underside of the textual content file and seek for latest errors.
An instance of an error is that this:
The quantity written first within the URL is your APPID, on this case (346110) is the AppID for ARK Survival Evolved.
- Navigate to the basis folder of the mod, on this case, it’s 570371714. It has no particular file measurement as the basis folders of various video games could range.
- Restart steam and transfer to the download folder. Here you’ll discover that Steam will likely be asking for a replacement for the sport. Update the mandatory recordsdata and also you’ll be good to go.
Solution 4: Relocate Steam Installation and Game Files
If the less complicated strategies didn’t give you the results you want, we’ve got to relocate Steam Installation and Game recordsdata. This methodology is damaged down into two components. In the primary part, we attempt to relocate Steam and hope that it’ll launch and run as anticipated. If throughout the launch, an error happens, we’ve got to reinstall Steam. The complete course is listed below. Please observe that any interruption throughout the copying course of could corrupt the recordsdata, therefore, you would need to resort to reinstalling the consumer once more.
- Navigate to your Steam consumer and click on settings.
- Select ‘Downloads’ and click on ‘Steam Library Folders’.
- Click on ‘Add Library Folder’ and choose a brand new path the place you need Steam to be situated.
- This will outline a future path for all of the installations to happen. Now we are going to transfer to maneuver present Steam recordsdata to the trail you chose.
- Exit the Steam consumer.
- Navigate to your present Steam listing (default is: C: \Program Files \Steam).
- Delete all of the recordsdata and folders besides SteamApps and UserData folders. Also don’t delete .exe.
- Cut all of the folders and paste them to the brand new listing you determined above.
- Launch Steam and re-login.
If you encounter any issues whereas transferring the steam folder or after launching it, observe the steps listed under.
- Close your Steam.
- Browse to the placement the place you relocated Steam.
- Relocate the ‘SteamApps’ folder from that listing to your desktop.
- Uninstall Steam (that is finished to take away your outdated Steam settings out of your PC).
- Install Steam once more to the preliminary location that you simply have chosen.
- Move the SteamApps folder within the new Steam listing. This will copy your whole recreation content material, your saved video games, and settings.
- Launch Steam and enter your credentials.
- Verify integrity of Steam recreation recordsdata and it is possible for you to to play
Solution 5: Check Disk Scan
It is feasible that the Hard Drive that incorporates the sport set up has been corrupted or incorporates unhealthy sectors. If a Hard Drive has “Bad” sectors it slows down and sure areas of the onerous drive can’t be accessed. Therefore, you may attempt to run a “Disc Check” scan to test the drive for unhealthy sectors. For that:
- Press the “Windows” + “R” keys concurrently.
- Type in “cmd” within the dialogue field and press “Enter“.
- Type in “chkdsk c: /f” and press “Enter” to provoke it.
- Press “Y” to verify the scheduling of a disk test scan.
- Wait for the Disk Check scan to finish and test to see if the problem persists.
Solution 6: Run as Administrator
In some instances, steam requires particular permissions to entry sure folders and recordsdata. If the particular permissions aren’t granted it might be blocked by the Windows from accessing the folder and the “Content File is Locked” message would possibly present up. Therefore, on this step, we will likely be operating “Steam” as an Administrator. For that:
- Right-click on the Steam icon and choose the “Properties” possibility.
- Click on the “Compatibility” tab and test the “Run as Administrator” possibility.
- Click on “Apply” after which on “OK“.
- Run Steam and test to see if the problem persists.
- Created: Appulas
Recommended: For More Articles